If you’re like me, then you may already be feeling overwhelmed and stressed by the start of the new semester. Between classes, assignments, roommate interactions, and the day-to-day stresses of things like work it’s no wonder people might be feeling some type of way.
With that in mind, here are some tips on how to handle your stress, keep your cool and succeed this semester.
- Plan and learn to time manage- This is probably one of the most important skills you can learn to do in your college career (and in life). Taking the time to properly manage all of thing assignments, responsibilities, and to-do’s in your life will save you lots of time and worry. Whether it’s writing tasks down in an agenda, using a bullet journal, setting reminders on your smartphone (My favorite is the Clear app) or using a goal setting sheet (like the one here).
- Exercise regularly– For this, you don’t have to spend hours in the gym; just move! Whether you enjoy jogging, yoga, weightlifting or Crossfit, exercise has been shown to boost endorphin’s (the happy hormone). You’ll feel great and get in shape as well!
- Meditate– Meditation is an excellent way to get in touch with yourself and clear your busy thoughts. Additionally, techniques like self-hypnosis have also shown to have powerful stress-reducing capabilities.
- Laugh at the small stuff– Let’s face it, you have enough responsibilities on your plate. Learning to laugh and also finding things to be grateful for can help to put everything in perspective.
- Get enough sleep (and food)– No one likes feeling tired or hungry. Feeling this way makes most people (including myself) feel grouchy, sluggish, unsatisfied and can increase stress levels. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep per night. Also make sure that you’re eating when you feeling hungry. You don’t necessarily have to eat the standard “3 meals a day.” Instead, listen to your body and give it what it needs!
I hope that some of these tips are helpful to you! Although college can sometimes be stressful, we have control over what we do about the stressors in our lives. If you’re feeling stuck or need more assistance, come to the FYE office in Meier hall 100A and we’ll be happy to help out.
Here’s to a successful spring semester! I know you’ll rock it.
- I found most of the facts from this great site here
- Check out this awesome Weekly Motivator chart here