Hey First Years!
With the winter season over (is it over? this nice weather is confusing), you might be feeling some cabin fever. It’s time to get up and get active as we make our way through the rest of this Spring semester!
The Gassett Fitness Center, or the GFC, has a TON of amazing resources for you to use to get moving, on top of their regular gym hours. Plus, membership is free for SSU Students!
So what can you do at the GFC?
- Group Exercise: For some of us, going to the gym by ourselves is just not fun. Maybe you haven’t worked out much before and the gym is new territory. Group Exercise Classes are the way to go to have a structured workout alongside peers. GFC offers a large variety of classes, like Zumba, Yoga, Kickboxing and more. These classes are free with your GFC membership – just get a pass for the class at the front desk, and keep in mind they can fill up fast!
- Recreational Swim and Swim Lessons: The GFC has a short course 25 yard pool, with 8 lanes, starting blocks, diving boards and equipment. This pool is open for recreational swimming on weekdays! If you don’t know how to swim, swim lessons are also offered. Use of the pool is included in your GFC membership, so it can be used at no extra cost to you!
- Ice Skating: The Rockett Arena is available for recreational Ice Skating as well as Pick Up Hockey until March 10th. Grab some friends and head on over to skate before the rink is gone!
- Equipment Rental: Equipment for recreational sports is available for rental at the front desk of the GFC, including basketballs, soccer balls, volleyballs, dip belts, weight lifting belts, TRX systems, tennis balls & racquets, table tennis balls & paddles, shuffleboard discs and foosball. This equipment must be used at the facility and returned within the same day.
- Gassett After Dark: the GFC offers late night recreational exercise events throughout the semester. Up next is the Basketball Skills Challenge on Friday, March 24th at 8 pm. After that, on April 21st there will be Black Light Volleyball. To register for these events, email Michelle Cunningham at email@example.com.
All you need to know about the Gassett Fitness Center can be found here.