Do you like encouraging others to be the best person they can be? Do you like making connections on campus with other students, offices, and administration? Does the thought of being a part of a team get you excited? If any of these statements are a “YES!”, then being a mentor in the First Year Experience Office might be the job for you! The link to the job application is out there, but first, check out an in-depth description of the role of a mentor!
What is a mentor?
First Year Mentors are undergraduate student leaders who serve as a resource for first year students in the First Year Experience Office, supporting students’ transition to and through the first year of college.
What do you do?
We do a BILLION different tasks in the office, ranging from the academic realm to student involvement, to resident life, and everything in between! Some of our most common tasks are:
- Meeting with First Year students one-on-one
- Presenting in First Year Seminar classrooms on topics like: Time Management, How to use the Writing Center, Ways to get Involved, etc.
- Managing social media pages like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube, and more!
- Conduct phone outreach each semester to first year students
- Submit bi-weekly blog posts (LIKE THIS ONE!!) on academic and social aspects of Salem State!
- Staff Student Success Stations (booths) throughout the course of the academic year, distributing materials and responding to questions.
Why be a mentor?
There is no better feeling than helping a person in an area they might need some guidance in. Being able to answer that one questions a student might have, or showing someone where the correct office is to fix a problem is absolutely rewarding! And, not only is this job rewarding, but it’s also a job, which means you’ll be making money! Mentors are able to work 5-10 hours in the office, depending on work study, availability, and funding through our office.
How do you apply?!
Fill out the following application and send it to: email@example.com or drop it off at our office (Meier Hall, 100A) Applications are due Friday, April 7th!!