Hey first years!!
Deadlines for everything are coming hard and fast, but this is a deadline you’ll actually enjoy. Every year, the O-Team is put together to welcome the incoming first year students to SSU. The deadline to apply is April 28, 2017, and here’s why you should join our team.
The O-Team assists in coordinating and implementing events during the first week of the semester such as: first year students early move-in, First Year Day of Service, Convocation, and FYRE events. Here are some of the responsibilities:
- Move-in early (for residential students) and attend mandatory training/team building (all O-Team members) on Wednesday, August 30.
- Assist in helping first year Day of Service participants move-in on afternoon of Thursday, August 31.
- Assist in coordinating and implementing the First Year Day of Service for all first year early move-in participants (beginning evening of Thursday August 31-end of day on Friday, September 1).
- Serve as a volunteer during the annual Convocation for incoming class on Tuesday, September 5.
- Read the FYRE (First Year Reading Experience) selection over the course of the summer and assist faculty/staff in facilitating a book discussion with an assigned group on Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
- Serve as a resource for students regarding academic, campus services, activities, facilities, and other aspects of Salem State University
- Work collaboratively with all members of the O-Team and FYE staff
- Serve as a role model for first year students as well as other members of the O-Team and FYE staff
- Represent Salem State University and First Year Experience accurately and positively
You must be available on the dates listed in order to volunteer. In addition to responsibilities, there are some benefits too:
- That warm fuzzy feeling that comes with making a first year student smile and feel welcome at their new university
- A couple of truly stylish t-shirts as well as other O-Team swag
- Early move-in to the residence halls and meals prior to classes starting
- A resume-building experience and opportunity for a great reference as you apply for other jobs
These benefits are great, but as someone who was an O-Team member fro the past two years I can tell you that it’s honestly a life-changing experience. I’m passionate about helping others, and being part of the O-Team is a great way of doing that.
If you’ve been interested in getting involved with FYE, this is a great way to start! You can fin the application here.
If you’re looking for even more ways to get involved with FYE, check out FYM Stella’s blog on becoming a First Year Mentor!
Have an Outrageously Otherworldly week!